Web Hits

Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Why I'm writing this blog from now until whenever...

November...the leaves change...friends and family gather to dine...and Greyhound Canada bus services stick it up your arse!

That's right, I'm starting this blog because I've had just about enough of rising costs, taxes and prices on just about everything during what most have been calling the most challenging economic situation dating back to the "Great" one.

First things first, disregard any punctation; speling and runn on sntence mistakes because I'm most likely writing this quickly and in a rage.

But let's get on with it....

What propelled me to start in on this blog?

A close friend of mine that I hold near and dear to my heart --Matt Meszaros -- is coming to Canada. He's coming by way of Greyhound bus which seems to be a decent and affordable way to get between two destinations that are reasonable distances apart.

We decided Mez (my buddy matt) would purchase a ticket to come meet me and then we would leave from Toronto to head down to upstate New York where his family lives. He purchased his ticket just fine and I informed him I would purchase the tickets from Toronto to Buffalo.

No big deal..right?

Well it turns out, in Canada, if you purchase a bus ticket using Greyhound Canada for someone other than yourself you have to pay a ridiculous "gift fee companion" tax of somehwere around $10US and change. On a bus ticket that should have been around 40 bucks that's an added 25% tax!

Anyway, I purchased the tickets because it's not like I have any kind of choice in the matter, but needless to say, as a fiscally conservative American living in RED Canada, how can a 25% tax be acceptable on anything?

Don't worry, I made sure to right them a snarky email that I'm sure they won't even read. It did make me feel better. Thanks to Matt for propelling me and giving me the wherewithall to start a blog where I can discuss my reasonable and rational point of views...

PS: If for some reason this blog is taken off line before the end of the day it was deleted by the Canadian gov. China style.

I'll probably post on this thing every other day or so. I work in the newspaper industry so it's not difficult for me to find things to rage and become unruly about.

Cheers

2 comments:

  1. If you think that a 25% tax is heavy, you obviously have been in Canada long enough to forget income or corporate tax rates in the United States.

    Sincerely, a Marxist libertarian American

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will take every opportunity to disagree with you.

    ReplyDelete